Ways to Give

There are many ways to donate to the Achievement Center. In addition to giving online and by mail, you can also support the Center by making a planned gift, a transfer of stock, or other avenues as detailed below. Also, regardless of how you give please check with your employer about possible matching gift opportunities.

Gifts of Cash

You can make a gift by using a credit card or checking account on our online giving form. You can also mail a gift to the Achievement Center c/o Shannon Collins, 4950 West 23rd Street, Erie, PA 16506. If you have any questions, please feel free to call Shannon at (814) 616-0546.

Gifts of Property

You may have property, artwork, or jewelry that would help to the Achievement Center provide services to the children of this community. While gifts of property are accepted on a case-by-case basis, this may be an alternative to giving cash. Gifts of this type will need to be approved by the Achievement Center’s Board and may need a qualified appraisal in order to substantiate your charitable deduction.

Gifts of Stock, Bonds, or Mutual Fund Shares

You may own stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares for a year or more that have either gained value (appreciated) or lost value (depreciated). By donating appreciated stock directly to the Achievement Center, you receive a tax deduction for the full fair market value of the gifted stock and bypass the capital gains tax. On the other hand, you can sell depreciated stock and donate the cash proceeds to the Campaign. This creates a loss that may be used to reduce other taxable income and you can deduct the donated cash proceeds as a charitable contribution. If you have any questions or would like information on how to transfer your holdings, please contact Shannon Collins, Chief Advancement Officer, at (814) 616-0546.

Gifts of Life Insurance

You may own life insurance policies that have accumulated cash value but are no longer needed for their original purposes. The “surrender” value of these policies can be used to make gifts that provide tax savings to you. If you wish to make a gift of a current life insurance policy, you will need to speak to your agent and sign a “change of ownership” form. Another alternative would be to retain ownership of the policy but make the Achievement Center the named beneficiary. To accomplish this, you would complete a “change of beneficiary” form with your insurance company making the Achievement Center the legal recipient of the policy proceeds. If you have any questions, please contact Shannon Collins, Chief Advancement Officer, at (814) 616-0546.

Charitable IRA Rollover and Gifts of Retirement Funds

In 2013, individuals who are 70½ or older may “rollover” up to $100,000 from a traditional IRA or Roth IRA directly to the Achievement Center. If you qualify, you will be able to count the charitable distribution as part of your required minimum distribution from such accounts without having to include such distribution in your gross income. Another option would be to name the Achievement Center as a beneficiary of your retirement plan accounts. By doing so, the taxable income associated with such assets is never taxed due to the Achievement Center’s tax exempt status.

*Gifts through Your Will or Living Trust. * After providing for your loved ones, you can leave a specific amount or property, a percentage of your estate, or what’s left over (the residue) to the Achievement Center. In order to make such a gift, you will need to speak to your attorney and make written provision in your Will or Trust for a gift to the Achievement Center. If you have any questions regarding this provision, please contact Shannon Collins, Chief Advancement Officer, at (814) 616-0546.

The information contained on this page is not a substitute for expert legal, tax, financial, or other professional advice. You should consult with your accountant, lawyer, and/or financial advisor before making a charitable gift. This information may not be relied upon for the purposes of avoiding any penalties that may be imposed under the Internal Revenue Code.